ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Anti-Recidivism Coalition (ARC) works to end mass incarceration in California. To ensure our communities are safe, healthy, and whole, ARC empowers formerly and currently incarcerated people to thrive by providing a support network, comprehensive reentry services, and opportunities to advocate for policy change. Through our grassroots policy advocacy, we are dedicated to transforming the criminal justice system so that it is more just and equitable for all people. Learn more at: www.antirecidivism.org.
ARC is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic individual to serve as its Communications Director. The purpose of this position is to lead ARC’s external communications operation in every way. The Communications Director leads top-line strategy, oversees execution and approval of owned digital properties, and serves as chief spokesperson for ARC. The Communications Director manages ARC’s growing communications team, which includes three full-time staff, two interns, and one fellow. The Communications Director serves as primary thought partner on external communications undertaken by the Executive Director and other key principals. This position reports to the Deputy Director and is based out of the Los Angeles headquarters. This position is not limited henceforth to the duties described below, which are subject to change.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Generate and lead strategy for all external communications, including planning year to year.
- Serve as lead spokesperson and conduit to ARC principals for members of press/news media.
- Collaborates with partners and has extensive knowledge of community resources with a strong emphasis on producing content, events/campaigns, and social media related content.
- Coordinate and shepherd earned media (print, TV, radio, digital) stories to publication.
- Oversee approvals and strategy of daily digital content to ARC social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, TikTok, Medium).
- Produce written/video/photo content that showcases the unique stories of ARC initiatives and ARC members. This includes ideating and generating campaigns/packages to broadcast the multi-faceted stories of ARC members, incarcerated community members, and our advocacy campaigns.
- Lead production and distribution of original ARC creative content, including existing and new online shows/programs and podcasts.
- Direct ARC’s email marketing efforts, which includes A/B testing and preparing reports on results
- Oversee short video content for social media and other external communications functions, which includes branding videos for specific programs. Lead the merchandise operation at ARC, including Shopify interface.
- Manage ARC website maintenance and posting, including ideation, planning, and regular story ideas for website.
- Manage ARC Creatives program in the form of ideation, participation, and project management.
- Lead production of ARC Inside Newsletter, which goes to over 6,000 currently incarcerated people tri-annually, and yearly postcard campaign “Mailing Hope Inside,” which sends handwritten holiday messages to incarcerated community members.
- Serve as chief caretaker of ARC brand identity, including providing creative care to logo, mission statement, tagline, and other elements of brand identity.
- Lead strategy in times necessitating crisis communications, responding to breaking news or unfavorable outcomes for ARC.
- Managing external partnerships with brands, companies, agencies that can benefit ARC mission.
- Prepare and steer Executive Director for media appearances, public speaking engagements, and keynotes at events.
- Prepare and maintain print and digital collateral, which includes program one-pagers, impact reports, and other materials.
- Write and submit quarterly report to Board of Directors, covering all communications areas.
- Plan or co-plan special events related to 10th Anniversary campaign.
- Write/synthesize/edit statements and talking points for policy positions.
- Prepare reports related to social and earned media successes and numbers.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience working in the Communications/Marketing field.
- 3 years of managing team of people, preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (communications, English, marketing).
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills, in both digital and print contexts.
- Expertise with communications tools that include: Google Suite, Asana, Slack, Mailchimp
The Communications Director will have the following experience and attributes:
- Demonstrated passion for creative arts and developing innovative methods of storytelling, emphasis in Criminal/Social Justice, preferred. Lived experience is a plus.
- Skill Sets: Highly motivated and able to multi-task. Team spirit, with trust in coworkers. Requires excellent written and verbal communication including the ability to write clear emails/reports. Requires excellent interpersonal and community engagement skills. Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently as well as part of a team.
Must have reliable transportation and current California Driver’s License with valid registration and insurance. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; drive; use hands and fingers; handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk; and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pound). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Keyboard data entry required.
- Salary range $80,000-95,000 DOE
- ARC pays up to 100% medical/dental/vision benefits for individual; 50% for dependents.
- Employer funded life insurance.
- 401(k) matching
- 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid sick days.
Anti-Recidivism Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider employment for qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.