ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Anti-Recidivism Coalition (ARC) works to end mass incarceration. To ensure our communities are safe, healthy, and whole, ARC empowers formerly and currently incarcerated people to thrive by providing a support network, comprehensive reentry services, and opportunities to advocate for policy change. Through our grassroots policy advocacy, we are dedicated to transforming the criminal justice system so that it is more just and equitable for all people. Learn more at: www.antirecidivism.org.
ARC is seeking an experienced Job Developer for our 80-bed Life Skills program, part of the Ventura Training Center (VTC). VTC is a Fire Training Program operating in conjunction with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR), California Conservation Corps (CCC), and CAL FIRE. This site is located in Camarillo, CA. This will be a critical role focused on assisting cadets in gaining employment as career firefighters. This exciting pilot program will require an experienced individual with the ability to work well with all stakeholders and multidisciplinary partnerships. This is a challenging position that requires a self-motivated, multi-tasker with an understanding of employment processes specific to the state, national, and private fire organizations. Experience with the criminal justice population is considered an asset, along with passion and commitment to social justice reform. This is a position that will interact with governmental agencies, ARC staff, as well as community organizations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Aid VTC participants in gaining a comprehensive understanding of CAL FIRE resume and application processes, as well as firefighting opportunities in federal and private agencies.
- Provide direct assistance with resume writing, mock interviewing, and basic employment skill sets.
- Develop and run Career Readiness Workshops as well as computer literacy support as needed.
- Share a comprehensive understanding of firefighting certifications and employment opportunities related to those certifications with VTC cadets.
- Monitor VTC cadet progress and confer regularly with partnering agencies regarding VTC program progress and transition planning, and document accordingly.
- Possible overnight travel to develop and maintain relationships with potential recruitment opportunities.
- Assess individual needs and maintain database documentation of progress relating to employment and participation in employment services.
- Attend all ARC staff meetings, case conferences, organizational gatherings, retreats, and conferences, as requested.
- Research and understand potential career paths within state, federal, and private fire agencies.
- Track cadet applications and outcomes.
- Create vocational partner relationships with state, federal, and private fire agencies.
- Work closely with Program Coordinator to ensure interdepartmental communication is maximized.
- Provide back up to Program Coordinator (PC) serving as the onsite representation of ARC when PC is called away.
- Serve as back up providing transportation to cadets for ancillary appointments/needs.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience as a Job Developer or similar position
- Be flexible with schedule; occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Must be insurable by ARC’s auto insurance provider with valid California Driver’s License.
- Must pass CDCR background check
The Job Developer will have the following experience and attributes:
- Flexible and self-starter; ability to multitask while also being highly detail oriented.
- Excellent people skills, with experience in collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse and dynamic team environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to ARC’s mission.
- Strong and effective problem-solving skills.
- ARC strongly encourages qualified formerly incarcerated and system-impacted individuals to apply.
- The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the employment landscape in firefighting in California. This person must also be well-versed in the obstacles and barriers facing system impacted individuals in the employment and educational arenas.
- Pay rate is $21.63-$24.04 per hour
- ARC pays 75% medical/dental/vision benefits for individuals; 50% for dependents.
- Employer-funded life insurance.
- 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid sick days.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to HR@arc-ca.org with “Job Developer – VTC” in the subject line.
Please note that employment is contingent upon proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Anti-Recidivism Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.